GWF Fast Facts
All about us
- Operating over 50 years
- George Weston Foods has been operating for over 50 years and has grown to become one of Australia and New Zealand's largest food manufacturers.
- 60 sites across Australia & New Zealand
- We're proud to support many rural and regional communities and primary producers by buying locally grown ingredients. We then manufacture and distribute our products from our 60 sites across Australia and New Zealand.
- 7.8 million loaves of bread
- We produce 7.8 million loaves of bread every week
- 338,000 cakes
- We produce 338,000 cake pieces every week
- Small goods
- We make enough small goods, such as franks, cabana and kransky, each year to go around the world... twice!
- 1 million tonnes of grain
- We convert over 1 million tonnes of grain and commodities a year to flour and animal feed
George Weston Foods is a wholly owned subsidiary of Associated British Foods plc (ABF),
ABF is a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group with five key business areas:
one of the world's leading food companies.
George Weston Foods is structured into four businesses in Australia and New Zealand.
These businesses are responsible for a range of activities including innovating, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing products.
- Tip Top
- Australia's leading brand of quality bread and bakery products producing a diverse range of wholesome sliced bread, gourmet bread, muffins, crumpets, bakery snacks and cakes as well as supplying leading quick service restaurants and the commercial food service channel. In New Zealand, our products are sold under the Tip Top Bakery brand.
- Supplying a wide range of delicious premium quality small goods to supermarkets and retailers in Australia through brands including Don®, KR Castlemaine® and Watsonia®.
- Is a leading supplier of bakery ingredients solutions with manufacturing facilities across Australia and New Zealand. They produce a comprehensive range of bakery ingredients and high quality yeasts with well known brands including Weston Milling, Mauri, Pinnacle and Cereform. They also have an extensive presence in commercial livestock animal nutrition across the region.
- Provides cleaning and hygiene solutions to a broad range of industries including food manufacturing facilities, supermarkets, industrial applications, kitchens, washrooms and laundries.
We employ more than 6,000 people across 58 sites in Australia and New Zealand.
Don is the biggest employer in regional Victoria, with around 1,300 people, while Tip Top employs around 4,100.
George Weston Foods makes some of Australia & New Zealand's favourite and most innovative products, living our purpose 'to delight people every day with the simple pleasure of good food!' Chances are one of our iconic brands is sitting on your table, packed in your lunchbox or resting in your pantry right now!
Some of our iconic brands include:
Tip Top®, Abbotts Village Bakery®, Burgen®, Golden®, Don®, KR Castlemaine® and Watsonia®.
Tip Top in Australia
The Tip Top brand was launched nationally in 1958 and was the first national bread brand in Australia. Tip Top's pre-sliced, wrapped bread revolutionized the baking category in Australia in the 1950s. Over the years, the range of breads and baked goods under the Tip Top brand has expanded to cater for the developing needs of Australian families. As a result, Tip Top produces over one million loaves of bread every day and delivers its products to more than 18,000 locations. That's a lot of bread!
Tip Top Bakery in New Zealand
In the early 1950's, GWF purchased Stormont's Bakery in Kingsland Auckland and launched the Tip Top Bread brand into New Zealand. Today, the business employs more than 500 people in five manufacturing sites. Together, the sites produce more than 1.2 million loaves of bread, buns, rolls, muffins and crumpets every week.
DON® Smallgoods was established in Victoria in 1947 by a local butcher R.J. Gilbertson. In producing his range of processed European-style meats, Gilbertson set very high standards, employing European master craftsmen, who used the traditional methods of curing and preserving meat.
Their techniques were an instant success in a rapidly changing postwar Australia and by 1951, the young company had expanded and built a separate factory to keep up with the demand. The successful growth of the company over the years saw GWF purchase the DON® brand in 1999.
In 2008 GWF purchased KR Castlemaine, who began producing ham and bacon back in 1911. Recently Don built a large state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in regional Victoria representing substantial, long-term investment in the region.
MAURI formerly Weston Milling
Weston Milling is one of the oldest and largest cereal manufactures in Australasia. As part of GWF, Weston Milling benefits from a broad working knowledge throughout the food and agricultural industry and provides innovative solutions to support a traditional approach to flour milling.
Weston Milling Animal Nutrition traces its roots back over 60 years in both Eastern and Western Australia. The original business names of Wesfeeds and Millmaster are well known in the livestock industry for their dedication to develop and provide products and services of the highest standard.
Jasol Australia was established in 1934 when an enterprising chemist, Mr. Charles Johnson, approached a Mr. Edwards who was a prominent Adelaide businessman with a formulation that enabled oil to be mixed with water. In 2003 Jasol expanded operations into New Zealand with the acquisition of Wilsons chemicals and in 2005 Andrew Limited, both leading cleaning and industrial chemical manufactures.